Friday, December 17, 2010

Khao Lak

Having checked into Jerung Guest House my first order of business was to head to Big Blue Khao Lak (dive shop) to organise the following day's trip to Richelieu Rock and firm up details and payment for the Pawara liveaboard trip. After this, we went for a walk and ended up grabbing a bite to eat at a local pizza place and ended up in a conversation with a tailor. An imediate difference between Khao Lak and Bangkok became apparent- In Khao Lak the people readily accept the fact that not everyone is going to buy whatever it is they are selling. Later that evening another difference became apparent- Khao Lak definately does not have the party scene we were expecting. A fantasctic town with an amazing beach, but a little quiet. A perfect destination for people with young families, older people, or any one looking to truely relax.

The next morning we arrived at Big Blue (conveniently located across the road from Jerung) and left shortly after to head off on a day trip to Richelieu Rock. Most of the people on this trip were German speaking so I had the chance to practice my German, which works better than I was expecting. Richelieu Rock turned out to live up to its reputation as one of the best dive sites in the Andaman Sea.

In the evening I headed back to the Big Blue dive shop and was taken to the Pier for the MV Pawara live aboard trip. After a boat briefing, we settled into our cabins and reconviened for dinner. I met many great people on the MV Pawara, those who stand out are Pierre, D-Mo, Hals, Kendra and Mass. I then began the theory for the two dive courses I completed on the trip - deep dive specialty (diving to 40m) and NITROX Level 2 (gas mixes with up to 40% Oxyen). We awoke the following morning at 7am and had the first dive of the trip. By mid afternoon we had completed 3 amazing dives and I had completed the theory for the two courses. On the second day we had some unseasonably bad weather, which limited our progress north to Koh Tachai and Rischelieu Rock. Fortunately I'd dived Rischelieu Rock two days previously. As a result we headed back to the Similans for the rest of the trip. I guess I now have an excuse to go back and dive Koh Tachai!

At lunch time on day 4 we completed our last dive for the trip and my 16th dive in 5 days. We then preceded to drink Pawara out of beer on the way back to Khao Lak (Thanks largely to Hals and myself. Good effort mate).

To sum up the Pawara live aboard trip - great boat, great staff great people, great diving, great food. Heaps good. Very highly recommended.

I'll update some of the photo lables below once I get my hands on a book of fish found in these waters.











































2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike - great photos! I can (almost) understand what you see in diving! Love,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have some really good video, but probably too large for blog. May upload. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete